.

Eastside Garage Catches Fire Wednesday Night

Residents sleeping, awakened by passerby and escape uninjured

A home garage caught fire Wednesday night as residents were sleeping, but who were alerted by a passerby and smoke detectors that had gone off and managed to escape to safety.

The incident occurred around 1:30am Thursday morning in the 1600 block of Caulfield Lane and when firefighters arrived, they found the garage engulfed in flames. There was heavy smoke coming from the home and after securing the interior of the house from damage, firefighters worked to extinguish the flames.

No one was injured in the fire and damages were estimated at $40,000, mostly to the garage. Firefighters credit the passerby, who has not been identified, as well as smoke detectors for alerting the sleeping tenants and getting them out safely.

Sean Nolan November 25, 2011 at 02:59 AM
a garage fire is a tragic thing and so is the mangled first sentence of this story.
Stephen Tynan November 25, 2011 at 02:31 PM
"...as sleeping residents were woken..." It was a holiday. Give the writer a break.
Laura @ A Body Beautiful 4U November 25, 2011 at 05:55 PM
Was this a fire caused by the clothes dryer venting inside the garage resulting in lint build up and then ignition of the water heater pilot light?

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »