Keep an eye out for the benign, wrinkled face of King Walnut this evening.
The Walnut Festival Parade is scheduled to roll at 6 p.m. Saturday. The parade will proceed north on Main Street from Mount Diablo Boulevard to Civic Drive.
That portion of Main Street and several peripheral streets will be closed to traffic from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. Curbside parking places on closed streets will be marked as “No Parking – Tow Away,” according to an advisory from the Walnut Creek police. All streets will remain open and accessible to pedestrian traffic.
The street closures are as follows:
- Main St: North of Newell Ave. to Lacassie Ave.
- Mt. Diablo Blvd.: California Blvd. to Broadway
- Botelho Dr.: East of South Locust St.
- Olympic Blvd.: East of South Locust St.
- Cypress St: Commercial Lane to immediately East of Main St.
- Bonanza St: East of Commercial Lane
- Civic Dr: East of Commercial Lane to Broadway
- Giammona Dr: All
- Lacassie Ave: East of Locust St.
The 75th annual Walnut Festival itself — with fun rides, amusements, food and drinks, vendors, fishing at the lake and more — is next week is at Heather Farm Park:
- 5 - 10 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 20.
- 5 to 11 p.m. Friday, Sept. 21.
- 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 22.
- 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 23.